Photo from IEC 62271-200 standard
General about IEC:
The International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) is an international standards organization that prepares and publishes international standards for all electrical, electronic and related technologies – collectively known as “electrotechnology”. IEC standards cover a vast range of technologies from power generation, transmission, and distribution to home appliances and office equipment, semiconductors, fiber optics, batteries, solar energy, nanotechnology, and marine energy as well as many others. The IEC also manages four] global conformity assessment systems that certify whether equipment, system, or components conform to its international standards.
Switchgear IEC standards:
IEC Standards play a very important role in familiarizing and testing different switchgears.
Standards are an important source for understanding, testing, and educating a variety of switchgear.
About IEC 62271-100:
This standard is part 100 from IEC 62271 that published about switchgears.
This standard most used for medium voltage and high voltage circuit breakers.
This part of IEC 62271 specifies circuit-breakers designed for indoor or outdoor installation and for operation at frequencies of 50 Hz and 60 Hz on systems having voltages above 1 000 V. It is only applicable to three-pole circuit-breakers for use in three-phase systems and single-pole circuit-breakers for use in single-phase systems.
Note: Although primarily dedicated to three-phase systems, this standard can also be applied to single-phase or two-phase systems.
IEC62271-100 only applicable to three-pole circuit-breakers for use in three-phase systems and single-pole circuit-breakers for use in single-phase systems. Two-pole circuit-breakers for use in single-phase systems and application at frequencies lower than 50 Hz are subject to agreement between manufacturer and user.
This standard is also applicable to the operating devices of circuit-breakers and to their auxiliary equipment. However, a circuit-breaker with a closing mechanism for dependent manual operation is not covered by this standard, as a rated short-circuit making-current cannot be specified, and such dependent manual operation may be objectionable because of safety considerations.
Rules for high voltage circuit-breakers with an intentional non-simultaneity between the poles are under consideration; circuit-breakers providing single-pole auto-reclosing are within the scope of this standard.
This standard does not cover circuit-breakers intended for use on motive power units of electrical traction equipment; these are covered by IEC 60077. (Railway application).
International Standard IEC 62271-100 has been prepared by a technical subcommittee TC/SC17A(Switching devices).
The main parts of IEC 62271-100 standard are:
1- High voltage circuit breaker normal and special service conditions.
2- High voltage circuit breaker terms and definitions.
3-High voltage circuit breaker rating.
4-High voltage circuit breaker design and construction.
5-High voltage circuit breaker type test.
7- Guidance to the selection of circuit-breakers for service.
8- Information to be given with enquiries, tenders, and orders.
9- Rules for transport, storage, installation, operation, and maintenance.
11- Influence of the product on the environment.
In most of the above parts, we can see reference has been made to the standard IEC 62271-1(common switchgear standard).
Also, this standard has 17 annexes about medium-voltage metal-enclosed switchgear topics:
- Annex A (normative) Calculation of transient recovery voltages for short-line faults from rated characteristics Tolerances on test quantities during type tests
- Annex B (normative) Tolerances on test quantities during type tests
- Annex C (normative) Records and reports of type tests
- Annex D (normative) Determination of short-circuit power factor
- Annex E (normative) Method of drawing the envelope of the prospective transient recovery voltage of a circuit and determining the representative parameters
- Annex F (normative) Methods of determining prospective transient recovery voltage waves
- Annex G (normative) Rationale behind the introduction of circuit-breakers class E2
- Annex H (informative) Inrush currents of single and back-to-back capacitor banks
- Annex I (informative) Explanatory notes
- Annex J (informative) Test current and line length tolerances for short-line fault testing
- Annex K (informative) List of symbols and abbreviations used in this standard
- Annex L (informative) Explanatory notes on the revision of TRVs for circuit-breakers
of rated voltages higher than 1 kV and less than 100 kV
- Annex M (normative) Requirements for breaking of transformer-limited faults
by circuit-breakers with a rated voltage higher than 1 kV and less than 100 kV
- Annex N (normative) Use of mechanical characteristics and related requirements
- Annex O (informative) Guidance for short-circuit and switching test procedures for metal-enclosed and dead tank circuit-breakers
- Annex P (normative) Calculation of the TRV parameters during asymmetrical fault condition (T100a)
- Annex Q (informative) Examples for the application of the asymmetry criteria during
asymmetrical test-duty T100a
High voltage circuit breaker live tank (photo just for display)
IEC 622271-100 standard update process:
On date 2001-05-28: IEC 62271-100:2001 Withdrawn
On date 2002-05-07: IEC 62271-100:2001/AMD1:2002 Withdrawn
On date 2002-10-15:IEC 62271-100:2001/AMD1:2002/COR1:2002 Withdrawn
On date 2003-04-17:IEC 62271-100:2001/AMD1:2002/COR2:2003 Withdrawn
On date 2003-05-23:IEC 62271-100:2001+AMD1:2002 CSV Withdrawn Consolidated version
On date 2006-07-24: IEC 62271-100:2001/AMD2:2006 Withdrawn
On date 2006-10-24:IEC 62271-100:2001+AMD1:2002+AMD2:2006 CSV Withdrawn Consolidated version
On date 2008-4-21:IEC 62271-100:2008 valid
On date 2012-9-27:IEC 62271-100:2008/AMD1:2012 & IEC 62271-100:2008+AMD1:2012 CSV
Consolidated version valid
On date 2012-12-11: IEC 62271-100:2008/AMD1:2012, COR1:2012 valid
On date 2017-06-15:IEC 62271-100:2008/AMD2:2017 valid
On date 2018-01-12: IEC 62271-100:2008/AMD2:2017,COR1:2018 valid
On date 2021-03-19:IEC 62271-100:2021 PRV Pre release version (edition3)
The Most used version and valid of this standard is:
IEC 62271-100:2008+AMD1:2012+AMD2:2017 CSV Consolidated version (stability date :2022)(page:1516)(available languages :English/French)(Edition 2.2) It is a more recent version of IEC 62271-100:2008
In this version we can see these changes:
The main changes with respect to the previous edition are listed below:
– the introduction of harmonized (IEC and IEEE) TRV waveshapes for rated voltages of 100 kV and above (amendment 1 to the first edition);
– the introduction of cable and line systems with their associated TRVs for rated voltages below 100 kV (amendment 2 to the first edition);
– the inclusion of IEC 61633 and IEC 62271-308.
This consolidated version consists of the second edition (2008), its amendment 1 (2012), and its amendment 2 (2017). Therefore, no need to order amendments in addition to this publication.
This publication is to be read in conjunction with IEC 62271-1:2007.
The contents of the corrigendum of December 2012 and corrigendum 1 to amendment 2 of January 2018 have been included in this copy.